On Monday 19th September 2016 I handed in my PhD Thesis!
When I handed in my thesis it felt like a physical weight had been lifted from my shoulders.
About 6 months of writing produced a single sided thesis that weighed as much as a baby.
Final tips for handing in
- Merge the document- I was lucky and word merged my chapters and endnotes fine. The endnotes took about 30 minutes but my laptop didn’t crash like people had warned. The only other thing was all my tables lost their outline but that was easy to add back in using the style tab. Leave a day for merging. A helpful youtube video about merging documents in word is https://youtu.be/MYIfVpjjdU8
- Print it on a weekend if possible, I printed mine at the weekend, there was no one else around, so no interruptions by someone pausing your print job. Also hide away some printing paper before hand so you don’t run out. Don’t stress if printer goes crazy a few times, it will work in the end. It took me over 2 hours.
- Read the submission documents for your university. At Nottingham this meant you handed in two soft bound copies of your thesis with a cd with the pdf of your final thesis too. (Save as pdf from word drop down). Also print and bind a copy for yourself to take to the viva.
- Double check where you hand it in, again in Nottingham this is at the student services building.
- If possible get someone to come with you while you wait for thesis binding (1 hour at Nottingham print shop) get a coffee and start to process what you are about to achieve.
- Get your friend to take a picture of you and your thesis, it’s a momentous day and should be recorded for you.
- Hand it in, don’t get your hopes up about the people in student services, even though you are obviously and openly elated to be handing your thesis in it is very rare that they will have any concept of what this achievement means and may be quite grumpy.
- Get a receipt! Make sure you keep this in case they misplace your thesis.
- Feel the tension fade away.
- Go and celebrate, however don’t put pressure on yourself if you are exhausted -the celebrating can continue for at least a week! Also it can take a while for the feeling to fully sink in.
- Enjoy your first amazing sleep in 6 months.
- Ring student services a few days later to check your thesis is being processed correctly and is being sent to your examiners.